Sunday, February 6, 2011

Internet and media

We look around and see the internet everywhere. The effect that this has on the media is huge. I fall victim to the internet. I sit here in front of the computer not only to do my class work for the semester but to also surf the web. I check the local news and weather because it is quick and easy and I don't like to wait around for the news to come on TV. The older generation that is uncomfortable with computers are the ones that watch the local TV channels for the news. More people are reading news papers online and not purchasing the paper from the local news stand. I have seen two local papers that are suffering to stay open (The Boston Globe and the Lowell Sun). I have had both of these papers delivered to my house and canceled because why should I pay for the paper when I can go online and read them for free.

We sit here and download music from multiple sources on the internet. Why purchase a music cd for one song when we can get just that song on the internet for a fraction of the cost. We have seen over the years a number of music stores close its doors due largely the availability of Music on the internet.

The internet may have a small part in the decline in the economy in the past 5 years. With the online retailers that offer tax free and free shipping why be bothered to travel out of the house. I have been known to research an item online for the cheapest price before making a purchase.

My children have access to school books online. They come home and say dad I need you to print page 88 for my homework tonight. With this media online it makes it easy for them not only so they do not have to carry books home but they can't say they forgot their homework!

The Internet has become a way of life!

1 comment:

  1. Kevin,
    I have to totally agree with you. I don't think that I can go the entire day without doing something online. I make most of my purchases online and take my classes online. I'm grateful for that because if it wasn't for the online classes, I would not be able to get my degree. I also think that the Internet has become a way of life and I do think that it makes our life easier. However, I think we are slowly losing the human element of communication. We are more wiling to talk to someone online using IM, Skype, or email and we do not call or visit them as much. So, I do embrace the Internet and enjoy using it but I do try to communicate with family and friends face to face as much as I can. I guess you can call me a little old fashioned!!

    ReplyDelete